Friday, June 27, 2008

Labels and a dilemma

Labels... why must we have labels for everything in this world? Can't one thing just exist without being labeled and shoved into a category? I know it is part of the human condition to want to label things, good, bad, boyfriend, girlfriend, lover, friend, enemy, the list goes on and on... but why the absolute need to have something and label it right away. Does life really need to be categorized in this way for things to make sense to our feeble human minds?

I have been labeled many things: friend, lover, boyfriend, booty call, husband, son, father, airman, civilian, the list goes on and on... do any of these define me? Does one label stand out more then any other? If I were to let go of all labels, of all defining words, does that destroy my character? Does it make me none of the things mentioned? If I was never labeled do I exist?

We label things to make sense of them, to be able to comprehend the incomprehensible. If I was never labeled a boyfriend does that mean I wouldn't do exactly what is expected of one labeled as such? If I was never labeled a father does that mean I would not act as one would?

Why do certain things in life need to be comprehended in the first place? Can't they just be, exist without form and expectations, flitting about as they will? Is that so bad of a state of being that we must save the thoughts, actions, or energy by labeling them and filing them away. Is love not just as powerful a feeling if it isn't grouped into being a between father-child/boyfriend-girlfriend/wife-husband? Does it lose any of it's meaning if it is just love between two people? Requited love shouldn't need labels. If you love someone and they love you back can't it just be at that without making that person owned by a label?

Is there really such a difference between good and evil? All there is shades of gray between the two... who is to say one thing is good and one thing evil? I could label saving a bus full of children as an evil act, justifying it in my own way. Others would look at it as an act of goodness, as saving a person's life is a noble act to some. A better example is of free will. If I keep someone, say my daughter, from doing something she wanted to do with all her heart, like visit a friend far away, but I feel it is a waste of time and she really should be doing something else with herself, say study for school, and threaten to cut all ties with her if she goes on said trip does that make it an evil act? If I keep someone from doing something they want to do, but I believe it is for the best and am saving them from a bad mistake, am I in the right or in the wrong for keeping them from doing what they want? Again some would say it was evil others good... therefore there is no good and evil, just shades of gray that can be interpreted as anything one wishes it to be. One last example, if I pushed someone to do something they really wanted but doing said action would cause harm to their family relationship because the family is opposed to them doing anything other then what they have approved, am I the evil one or are they for going against that persons free will? Again it can be looked at both ways, there is no clear "this is what's right" in a situation like that, or many other situations.

Does inhibiting someones free will make you evil if you believe it was for the greater good? Is there a line that can be drawn stating "anything beyond this is evil" when it comes to controlling someones free will? Is just a nudge too much? A push? Fully taking over their life? If it is all for the best for that person where is the line that makes it evil or for that matter good? Does it harm anyone if you make happen what you want when it is against their free will?

Who really knows what is best for another person other then the person who is living that life. I say break free of other people trying to live your life for you, make your own mistakes and your own triumphs. If things don't work out then at least you can say you tried, there is nothing to regret in trying. Living a life with no regrets is the only way to enjoy life. Besides at the time, in your heart and soul, it felt like the thing to do and damn anything that tried to stop you from doing whatever it is you did. Why should you regret what felt so right at the time? Because at that time it WAS what you wanted, what you needed, what made you feel alive.

Advice is nice... but not always welcome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"there is nothing to regret in trying" Thanks broseph, just the thing I needed to hear. Damn the torpedoes! I am going to California.